Wednesday, October 18, 2017

HAIRCUTS AND SUCH.

Dunno ‘bout all y’all’s hair, (head-hair, he said hurriedly), but, my hair behaves quite oddly in the aftermath of a haircut. Wait, that’s not accurate. I had more than one hair cut...Hairs cut? Sounds odd, but I’m going to go with...wait...hair cutting? Let’s try it. My hair behaves oddly in the immediate aftermath of a hair cutting – yep, ‘cuz, y’know, process; or, more accurately, in the aftermath of the post-tonsorial ablutions.  Hairs that had meekly stayed in their assigned places as I left the barber’s are, asserting their independence. Hairs that had defied the rabble rousing vortices in the back seat of a homeward auto rickshaw are, post-shower, deciding to strike out on their own; refusing direction and distribution. Hitherto unseen cowlicks making their haphazard presence annoyingly known; not unlike the fellow in the row in front who stands up and has a leisurely stretch and look around while a crucial moment on the playing field passes unseen.
Bad hair cutting, I hear you say. No, I assert. My barber is a gentleman of skill and art. His cutting of my hair has been honed by more than a decade’s worth of familiarity with my requirements. His work cannot be faulted. No, the fault lies elsewhere, and, having pondered the matter I believe I have understood the issue.
Adolescence, that’s what it is. Adolescence, that time of discovery and exploration, that yearning for a glimpse over the horizon, that search for identity, that’s what has the cowlicks defying my stylist instructions. Can’t be blamed, really, Imean, it’s a phase, innit? Imean, we’ve all been through it, haven’t we? Growing from a subcutaneous bud into the heady freedoms of early maturity only to be held in place by the weight of older tradition and order, we’ve all been there.
Then one day, a sharp and sudden liberation from the weight that has been pressing down, and...cowlick.

I now no longer try to tame my cow licks. Time, and aging will kill that spirit soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment