Saturday, July 5, 2014

dogs and governance

The things my dogs have taught me about governance, of self, if nothing else.
1. The importance of a common language. -- I think I can safely say that neither my dogs nor I were born speaking each other’s language. But we did communicate with each other, effectively. There was no doubt in my mind that my dogs were pleased at my return from an absence. The younger, more energetic ones had to be acculturated into curbing their enthusiasm; all wagging hind quarters, face rubs, soft excited yips, exhibited with due regard for my home-coming rituals. My vocalizations in human, they heard in dog; the vocalizations, no doubt, a not always melodic sound-track to my body language. To underline the obvious, dogs use their bodies to communicate, a lot, like a lot, lot. I’m reasonably certain that my grammar, intonation, pronunciation and syntax, in dog were not up to their standards. I’m absolutely certain that they, the dogs, made allowances and met me half way; allowing me to put down the milk, loosen collars, belts and the constraints of public behavior. The older, more secure ones, more relieved than pleased, communicated their satisfaction in less energy intensive ways, they settled more comfortably into their naps. No raised voices. No threats of violence. No personal spaces invaded, inadvertently or otherwise. Boundaries respected, gracefully. Governments, social groups, Religions, hell, couples and parents, need to learn from that.
2. Love is not unconditional, (neither is hate, actually, now that I think about it) – In fact, it is a motivator for conditions. My dogs loved me because I provided them with security, sustenance, and leadership in a clement atmosphere. In return, they used their abilities to protect my sleep, be my early warning system and provide me a furry scruff of the neck to bury my face in when necessary. In short, conditions. Value given for value received. No hidden charges and all cost over-runs subject to discussion and compromise. No pooping or peeing in the house and in return I forgive, and clean up, the occasional ill considered, indigestible, snack, yellow-green slime and all, without recrimination, some grumbling allowed. 
3. Rules and structure are necessary for social amity. – Otherwise you have dogs who have not earned the right hogging the most comfortable place in front of the TV, dogs using might to grab the meatiest bone, dogs cutting willy-nilly into the ear-scratch rotation. All of which can lead to resentment and social unrest, which when combined with powerful, crushing jaws and teeth, can get very messy indeed. This was not easy for an anarchist hippy to learn. But then political entities are not, by definition, anarchists, are they? So it ought to be relatively easier for Them.

No comments:

Post a Comment